Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Afternoon in Paris 1

Here's today's recording: I thought there were a couple of melodic errors in the melody. the C on beat 3 of measure 3 was out of tune, and the 8th notes in the first ending were not as clean as they could be. Granted, this is not an easy melody to play, but it's not anything you aren't capable of. A little more practice should iron out the kinks. I love the balance during the bridge- especially the guitar comping.
Dom's opening lines in his solo were excellent. towards the end of the second A section it started to pull away from the changes a little bit. I'm glad that you all decided to mix up the solo order too.
Both Curran and Tyler had similar solos to Dom- strong openings (in Tyler's case, a guide tone line), and then a feeling of getting lost.
Christian took two choruses which was fine, but I felt that Christian was getting a little lost in the changes too- especially on the bridge.
To address this, consider practicing just the ii V I changes one key at a time until you feel comfortable with them.
The drums were good throughout. I liked the double tap on the snare to accent the melody in each chorus.

This song has a lot of promise. Keep at it!

7 comments:

  1. Mr Rabuse the song didnt get posted

    ReplyDelete
  2. My biggest problem is just getting lost in the changes during my solo, I'm gonna stick to more guide tone oriented stuff till I get a better understanding of the chords and changes

    ReplyDelete
  3. The balance for this song is great. I am satisfied with the sound of the chords so that I can keep the same. Its like a fluffy bed to lay notes all over and complements the melody well.
    For solo's I feel like everyone gets lost on the bridge because the bass is a stagnant note (G, I believe) and then its hard to recover. I know I often feel isolated there. Not saying we should change anything, just saying we need to gain confidence when playing without chord reference (this is also not to say that we should at all not still follow changes). Some work here would greatly help.
    I am a sucker for the melody so I thought it was great. This is a solid recording and document of our current "stage" of a progressive group, diggin' it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said Dom. I agree that we should rehearse the bridge more on it's own and deal with soloing over a pedal point (it is a G BTW).

    ReplyDelete
  5. The melody was pretty solid. I agree with Dom completely about the confidence thing. We also got lost in the head after the solos but we are getting much better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good recording, the head sounds really good for the most part, I do have some trouble on that 1st measure of the 1st ending thing. Also, just a nit-picky thing but in measure 4 into 5, over the E7 to Ab, I'm always just a little bit confused about what the articulation should be, at the beginning of this recording I hold it long, but by the end I conform to playing it short like the rest of the melody phrases. I just wanted to put that out there. Dug your solo Dom. Curran I'd really like to hear you in the higher register, I feel like you're stuck playing low. I feel good about my solo, I really like this song. Sorry about that whole ending thing, you even hear me in the recording afterwards.

    ReplyDelete